Adventures in Bed Rest Central


Today was a big day at Bed Rest Central for me and Little Cap. Or rather, NOT at Bed Rest Central. We left the house today for the first time in two weeks. And boy was it bright! I like to think I get a lot of sunlight in the living room, but it was overcast in Chicago today and yet I felt a little blinded.

Our friend Jen picked me up and took me to the appointment since Eric couldn’t get from school to Hyde Park to UIC fast enough after school. I had to remind myself that it was a doctor’s appointment and not a fun outing, that is to say, it was a nice ride.

At the doctor’s office (actually, massive “outpatient center”) I checked in for my appointment and was directed over to phlebotomy to drink syrupy orange stuff for the gestational diabetes testing.


The stuff was gross. It was like orange pop that had gone flat and then someone tried to remedy it by quadrupling the amount of corn syrup. The original directions I had for the test said you could drink water during the hour between drinking the prescription strength sugar rush and getting blood drawn. Unfortunately I was told today, “Take nothing by mouth.” That left a bad taste in my mouth. Literally.

I returned to the waiting room for the appointment. (Side note – since I see a high risk Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist now I get to wait in the “Fertility Center” waiting room. This cracks me up since getting pregnant was no problem, it’s the staying that way that’s getting tough. It also makes me cringe and want to hide, thinking that my very obvious tummy might be taunting those who ARE having trouble conceiving and are stuck in the waiting room with me.) At this point Little Cap started some kind of sugar rush induced tantrum/disco dance. I might have giggled had I not felt icky from the orange stuff and more than a little self conscious in that waiting room.

I never expect to be called back on time at the doctor’s office, but I was! Unfortunately Eric hadn’t arrived yet. He caught up with me in the exam room before the doctor arrived but after the usual pee-in-a-cup, get weighed and take your blood pressure. All of that went well.


When the doctor came we got to hear Little Cap’s heart and it was beating happily along in the 140s. And it was really easy to find, that’s always nice. The doctor said I should still remain as horizontal as possible, but she did say I can sit up a bit and once the weather’s warm I should go sit outside for a couple hours. Clearly she cares about my sanity as well as my health! Eric plans to get a lawn chair so I can park myself outside the door. Other people in our building already feed the squirrels everyday so I think I will have to content myself with crocheting and waving at those passing by. I can’t wait! She also mentioned that some restrictions might be lifted at 28 weeks. That sounds nice, but it also assumes I would be brave enough to actually take advantage of a looser bed rest regime. Since this seems to be working, I know I will be leery of changing. She also said that if there are any signs of pre-term labor they’ll give me steroid shots to help LC’s lungs develop faster. We’re still hoping for 36 weeks and calmly getting the stitches out before any kind of contractions. But we know we’re not out of the woods yet and are very thankful things can be done to help!

At the end of the appointment I got very dizzy, hot and faint feeling. I asked the midwife who was passing by if it was a normal reaction during the gestational diabetes testing. She said a lot of people get dizzy and some really nauseated. Thankfully I was saved that part, but I really thought I was going to black out while we were scheduling the next appointment. The feeling passed quickly. By the time we were waiting in phlebotemy I felt pretty good. The blood draw was uneventful with a very good technician who was also good at making conversation to distract me. Always a plus. He also thought I was Ukrainian. I will take that as a compliment. (I think he was Jamaican.)

So, we had a good day here at Bed Rest Central. I’m exhausted from all the moving about. Hopefully we will have lots more good days (without much movement) for two more weeks and then it’s back to the doctors! Little Cap is presently giving me some swift kicks in the side. Please keep praying that he remains inside for a good 11 more weeks (at least!).



Tags: , , , , , ,

5 Responses to “Adventures in Bed Rest Central”

  1. brooke Says:

    You are soooo loved.

  2. Katina Says:

    Eeew… I am not looking forward to that test. Sounds gross. When do you get results?

  3. bacho Says:

    the lawn chair sounds lovely. so does little cap. 11 weeks more, yes y’all can!

  4. Heidi Says:

    Hey, Lizzy! I’m so glad to know I’m not the only “creepy” one out there:) No, I’m so glad you pop over sometimes and it was fun to read your comment! I have been praying for you and now I can come here and see how you’re doing. Congrats on a baby boy! Boys are fun:)

  5. vagueperson Says:

    The lawn chair I actually got was free on Freecycle, but when I got it I found out that it has some mold… oh well – we’ll cover it up before she sits on it whenever it warms up enough to go out.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: